Tuesday, January 20, 2009

On hope...

As the presidential inauguration approached, I thought a lot about what I might post to our blog. The problem for me has been that I have so many strong emotions all at the same time, I feel like I need to come up for air. I thought I'd share just a few of my thoughts and observations ... if no one reads this that's actually OK with me. I think simply documenting some of these emotions is gratifying enough.

I am from southern Virginia. Although the area has lots of wonderful qualities, it's a pretty racist part of the country. Jason also comes from a similar area outside of Pittsburgh. What I'll never understand is that my hometown, much like Jason's, is also extremely religious. How can these two things coexist the way that they do? It's always baffled and frustrated me.

Watching President Obama be sworn in today touched my heart in so many ways:

* I am encouraged that maybe one day, racism in this country will no longer exist.

* I admire the emphasis that Obama (and Biden) put on family - they both clearly adore their wives and children.

* I love that Obama is open to new ways of doing things - and that he asked Biden to be his running mate because he didn't want a VP who would be a "yes man."

* I appreciate the realistic way in which Obama characterizes the hard work in front of this country - and the notion that we are all accountable for our future.

* I see Obama's spirtual side at work when he speaks of what our future can hold if we work together to get there, and remain faithful.

* I recognize the stillness of someone who is so passionate about his beliefs that he's willing to do whatever it takes to achieve greatness for our country.

* I see a man who worked very hard to get to where he is today - and I want to be of service, to do what I can to help make this country even better.

Most of all, I see hope. I am hopeful that one day more people in this country will see that by including others, we are a better and stronger nation.

What an exciting time. I wouldn't trade being a part of this movement for anything. In honor of this time of change, I need to figure out what my service project will be. I have a few ideas in mind, but more on that once I make up my mind.

All this, and the Steelers are going to the SuperBowl, too!

No comments: